Friday, October 29, 2010

Why Mongrel2 Rocks

I used Mongrel2 for my latest project lib-face and it was actually quite a pleasure to work with. Without wasting any more of your time, here are the reasons:
  1. It's fast
  2. It's simple to install and use. Though getting all dependencies is a bit time consuming
  3. It's very well documented
  4. The documentation isn't outdated
  5. I mailed the author asking for some clarifications and got a reply pretty fast. This means that if I get stuck using it, there is someone out there to help me till a community develops
  6. It gives out meaningful error messages that actually help
  7. Writing aync handling code is very very simple because you need to explicitly call a function to return. This means that you can hold on to a request for as long as you want
  8. Mongrel2 uses ZeroMQ as the transport. This means that I can potentially implement some other (non-HTTP) protocol and have my code handle requests for that protocol since it is now only talking to ZeroMQ
  9. It gives out meaningful error messages that actually help
  10. It's simple yet powerful
  11. It supports a lot of languages -- remember it's language agnostic!!

1 comment:

Lee said...

Nice blog! I like your writing way. I'm doing practice GRE here: masteryourgre.com . I hope it's useful for GRE test takers.