- Turn off the switch on your phone's charger, and don't just remove the phone from the charger.
- Use room temperature water for bathing, esp. in this weather.
- Electricity costs more with more units used, much like taxes.
- Watch your computer usage. Turn off your PC(esp monitors) when not in use. Don't use screen savers.
- If you have a habbit of falling asleep while watching TV, use that "auto off timer" on your TV. Most TVs these days have it. Read the manual.
- (For India) Turn off your CAS box if you have one.
- Turn off the monitor when not in use.
- Use power-saving lamps(CFLs)
- Use Electronic chokes instead of the traditional induction types. They save up to 40% electricity.
- Make sure that there is at least 6 inches separation between the refrigerator and the wall behind it. It helps the air circulate and hence the heat dissipation from the coils.
- Use an electronic fan regulator v/s the traditional rheostat type which converts some of it's energy to heat to perform the function of a resistor(hence the heating of the regulator when you run the fan on low speeds for too long).
- Last but not the least -- please turn off the lights, fans, etc.... when leaving the room.
My friend has a collection of environment-philic blogs/pages on the web that he has collected and placed here: http://geek-o-pedia.blogspot.com/search/label/Environment?max-results=100