Serves: 9 pieces.
- 1 ltr High Fat(bhains ka doodh -- buffalo milk)
- 1/2 lemon
- 125g granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 pinch kesar(saffron) strands
- 20 g(approx.) ground pista and badam(it should be quite grainy)
- Warm the saffron strands a bit so that they crumble easily.
- Grind them into powder and add about 1 Tbsp of warm milk so that they dissolve completely. You should get a bright yellow coloured mixture.
- Take milk in a large saucepan and heat on high flame, stirring continuously till it is boiling hot.
- Remove seeds from lemon and squeeze juice over the milk to completely curdle it.
- Heat for a while till the milk separates completely.
- Strain out all the water with the help of a strainer, or as is more traditionally done, by putting the entire thing in a cloth towel, and squeezing the towel hard to remove all the water.
- Place the paneer in the saucepan.
- When it is still quite warm, break into small pieces, add sugar, kesar syrup and mix well.
- Form small roundlets about 1 1/2 inch in diameter, and male a small depression in the center(The pedas will be quite crumbly, so be careful while to pinch depressions in them).
- Put the ground badam and pista in these depressions, and press so that they stick.
- Refrigerate till cool, or serve warm and fresh.